You have decided to have your procedure done with us at Outpatient Services East. We are glad you have chosen to allow us to serve you. It is important that you prepare for your procedure properly in order to reduce the risk of any complications and to insure you stay as comfortable as possible during and after your procedure.
Please know that if the preoperative instructions are not followed your procedure may have to be cancelled. Your health and wellbeing is of utmost importance to our staff. The entire group is very concerned about your welfare.
Below are some of the things you will need to do to prepare for your procedure or surgery. Note that there may be other thing your doctor instructs you to do or not to do.
• Eat or drink or smoke anything (including candy, mints or gum) after midnight the evening before your procedure unless your physician has otherwise instructed you.
(Some procedures require a bowel prep. Please read and follow all instructions regarding this prep and refer all questions to your physician’s office prior to the day before your procedure.)
- Bring a list of all medications you are using. This includes any over the counter, herbal, creams, etc.
- Bring a list of any thing you are allergic
- Have a copy of custody papers, power of attorney, or any other type papers that involve the patient. Bring a copy of your insurance card and a picture ID such as your driver’s license.
- Check with your physician about taking your heart, breathing (asthma), seizure, gastric reflux, high blood pressure medicine or any long term pain control medicine you take on a daily basis with a small sip of water the morning of your procedure.
- REMOVE ALL jewelry including anklets and toe rings before coming to the facility. (This includes all body piercing jewelry)
- Bathe or shower the morning of surgery and brush your teeth. Your doctor may have you bath the night before and the morning of your surgery using antibacterial soap.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing as some procedures require removal of all clothing including underwear
- Wear your glasses or bring a case and solution for storing any contact lens.
- Bring a favorite toy or blanket for younger patients.
- Bring a responsible adult to be with you and to drive you home. Verification of a responsible adult will be made prior to your being admitted to the surgery center. If responsible adult verification cannot be made, your procedure will be cancelled.
- Notify your doctor if you take Coumadin, Plavix or any other blood thinner
- Notify your doctor and our staff if you have an insulin pump. Your doctor will determine if and when it needs to be disconnected. Please bring any supplies necessary to reconnect the pump.
- Notify your doctor and our staff if you have any internal or external devices such as pacemakers or defibrillators.
- Notify your doctor and our staff IMMEDIATELY if you suspect you are pregnant.
- Notify your doctor and our staff of any changes in your health, even minor changes such as a cold or fever.
IF YOU ARE LATE or cannot keep your appointment, please notify us by calling 205-838-3888.
If the staff at Outpatient Services East can help you in any way please call them at 205-838-3888.
Visit them at www.osesurg.com.
Leave a reply