Colorectal CancerJuly 27, 2016
Surgery Day For Special Needs PatientAugust 10, 2016
Outpatient Services East wants to make your same day surgery experience as smooth as possible. One way they work with you on this is allowing you to expedite your check in process by pre-registering. By doing this it makes the day of surgery a little easier and smoother for everyone.
A medical staff member will be in touch with you before the day of your surgery to review all special instructions and answer all questions you may have. If for some reason you have not received a call within 48 hours of your surgery day please us. If you have already received the call but find you have additional questions please feel free to call us. It is important to us that you feel comfortable and at ease about your upcoming surgery.
You will also be ask to come in a few days before admission for blood work. Your medical history and insurance information will be discussed too.
There are several things you must remember in order to prevent delay or cancellation of your surgery:
- When told to not to eat or drink after midnight it includes gum, candy, water, breath mints/strips, etc. Nothing to eat or drink really means nothing.
- Do not drink any alcohol for at least 24 hours before your surgery.
- Please remove before surgery all makeup, nail polish, and jewelry. Jewelry includes any body jewelry.
- You need to wear clothing that will fit comfortably over any bandages you may need.
- We can not be responsible for valuables so please leave them at home.
- It is important that you notify Outpatient Services East or your surgeon is you have elevated temperature, cough, vomiting, diarrhea, or any other problems between the last visit and surgery day.
- Please ensure we know if you are pregnant or think you could be pregnant.
- Let us know if you are taking diet pills, aspirin, ibuprofen, or herbal medicines. It may be that you need to stop taking the a week or more before surgery. Discuss any and all over the counter medication you are taking with your surgeon. This is just as important for him/her to know as it is for them to know your prescribed medications.
- Even though you have pre-registered there are item you will need to bring with you the day of your surgery. Be Sure you bring all insurance cards, (this includes Medicare or Medical assistance information)and your photo ID. we may already have this information but to avoid any problems they will most likely be checked again the day of surgery.
- You must have a driver with you. This person needs to bring you and plan to stay at the facility the entire time you are here. You must have someone drive you home. Do not plan to use any form of public transportation.
- Once you are discharged it is important that you have a friend, relative, or caregiver stay with you for at least 24 hours. This is a MUST.
- If you care for small children you will need to plan for someone to care for them for at least 24 hours after your surgery as well.
It is the desire of the staff at Outpatient Services East to give you the best care possible.
If we can answer any questions please call us: (205-838-3888) You can also visit us on the web: www.osesurg.com